Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Signature Piece Jewelry - Here We Go

I have a Facebook page (www.facebook.com/signature.piece.jewerly), and a website (www.signaturepiecejewelry.com). 

I don't have time to keep up with them, so I decided a blog would be a good idea.

What?

To tell you the truth, the other two sites just don't give me the opportunity to talk about gemstones and jewelry, something I really want to do.

Here is my story, short and sweet: 

I started making jewelry because in 2005 my husband bought a custom necklace for me.  I told him that I wished I could make things like that, so, he purchased a jewelry making kit from Fire Mountain Gems and Beads, and gave that to me as my next gift. 

Several thousands of dollars spent later, he says he doesn't regret it.  He is a keeper.  8-)

Well that is my story.  Now I want to talk about jewelry.

That necklace was a custom piece, and it cost $150. (I know this because I went to the website and looked LOL.)  I really love the necklace - tiny pearls for June, rhodolite garnets for January, blue topaz for December, peridot for July, and blue sapphires for September. That covered all the birthdates in my family at the time. Because of that one necklace, I started making jewelry. I still enjoy making birthstone jewelry for Moms.

Plus I am addicted to shopping for gemstones.

I can play at making jewelry and I find it very relaxing. I might make a necklace and then take it apart if I can't get it to 'lay' correctly. Because nothing except the wire and crimps are ruined, it doesn't take extra money to unravel a piece - just time. That can be very frustrating of course. Every few attempts though, the stones and beads come together to make something that is so pretty I can't believe that I created it, so I keep on making stuff. 

My idea for making jewelry was suppposed to be simple. I would make something, everyone would love it, then I would sell it, then buy more supplies, make something new, and sell that. And on and on. It didn't work out quite like that of course, but I still want to make unique pieces. That is why I named my site Signature Piece Jewelry.  Look at the jewelry gallery - it has my one-of-a-kind pieces that no one else has; if you need a unique piece that you just can't find, I'll make one for you.

Yesterday I purchased Mexican Opal nuggets (motled yellow/brown/red), Fire Agate barrels (red/orange/yellow), Rock Crystal nuggets (clear), and some Jasper squares (brick red).  I spent all my birthday money at the store LOL and I couldn't be happier.

The last time shopping trip I was on I purchased stones in the same color scheme - Carnelian (red orange), Citrine (yellow) and some Imperial Jasper, which is kind of hard to describe.  Maybe because I'm lazy.  They are about the size of a pinto bean, and they kind of look like a pinto bean only prettier - again these are red/yellow/orange. 

Oh, I also found a couple strands of amber nuggets that are really cool.  I can use them for spacers, or string them with something else to make a chunkier piece. 

These past few weeks I have made several pairs of earrings to add to my inventory because I'm thinking about going to a local craft show.  I was at Facebook Marketing training yesterday, and another student had recently been at a craft show - she was very encouraging.  Plus my co-workers at my real job are encouraging.

I am having fun, and now I get to blog about it too. Everything is pretty cool.

1 comment:

  1. Two proof readings didn't catch they typo in my Facebook address. Sigh. Some things never change. It should be: www.facebook.com/signature.piece.jewelry

    ReplyDelete